The Gainsborough Works was built in the mid-19th century and was originally the site of Frederick H. Riley’s shoe factory, where luxury leather shoes and boots were manufactured until the 1940’s when, like many other similar factories, they closed and the became a toolmaking and engineering works. Since then the factory has been the premises for a variety businesses including a doctor’s surgery and a garage. Currently it is the base for artist’s studios, a dance school, an antiques warehouse, carpet and upholstery tradesmen and a family owned engineering firm who have a long association with the works.
in 1892 moved to the factory on St. Patrick’s Place which had been built by another shoe manufacturer, James Day, and was then renamed ‘the Gainsborough Works’.Heart & Sole
The current exciting and extensive renovation programme has seen a new roof and windows fitted as well as many general building improvements internally and externally. New glass fronted affordable studio spaces will soon be available on the top floor, whilst the future of the building as a hub for creative activity is being guaranteed as film producers, photographers and music recording studios are all due to join a rapidly growing arts community.